Property managers, your tenants safety is the most important part of your job. Your tenants need to feel safe and secure while they live at your apartment complexes. Safety issues will also be red flags for any potential tenants when they come to look at your property or when they research your complex. Take a small portion of your day to reinsure that your tenants are safe.
- If your complex is a gated community, make sure that the gate is working at all times. It is imperative to make sure that the gate is closed, especially at night. Your tenants will sleep easily knowing that strangers cannot enter the area.
- Make sure that hallways and parking areas are well lit at night.
- Make sure video cameras, if available at your property, are all functioning properly. This will allow you to protect not only your tenants, but their property as well.
- Make sure that all windows and doors of each apartment have properly functioning locks and be sure to have maintenance address any of these issues right away. This is the most important way to ensure that your tenants and their property are safe at any time of the day or night.
- It is also important to maintain your property to also ensure that your tenants are safe. The added bonus is potential tenants will be drawn to your well-maintained property.
- Encourage your tenants to contact you or office staff about potential safety hazards. If you have a good relationship with the people living in your complex, you are more likely to address these concerns before a situation occurs. If tenants are able to speak up about their safety, you can improve the safety of everyone in your complex, tenants and staff alike.
- The safety of your tenants also extends to the inside of their apartments. If a heater stops working in winter, that is also a safety issue. Making sure maintenance stays on top of requests like this will keep your tenants happy and your occupancy rates up.
Addressing and maintaining these safety issues will keep your tenants happy, willing to extend their leases, and increases the chance of them recommending the apartments to friends and family.